What is ISO 50001?
ISO 50001 is an internationally recognized energy management system. This is the first global energy management system after many standards are issued in the national and regional scope. ISO 50001 is based on a management system model that has been understood and implemented by organizations around the world. This standard provides an effective framework for optimizing energy use and establishing organizational commitment to continuously improve energy management. ISO estimates that this standard can affect 60% of all energy use worldwide.
Who is an ISO 50001 User?
ISO 50001 is designed to be implemented by the entire organization regardless of small size, sector, and geographic location.
Why is ISO 50001 important to your organization?
• Helping organizations make better use of company assets that consume energy
• Facilitate transparency and communication of energy source arrangements
• Supports energy management best practices
• Facilitate evaluation and give priority to the application of new energy-efficient technologies
• Provide energy efficiency frameworks throughout the supply chain
• Facilitate energy management for GHG emission reduction projects
• Integration with existing management systems in the company
Benefits of ISO 50001 Certification
Significant improvement of energy performance level
A systematic (plan-do-check and act) approach that leads to continuous improvement in energy efficiency. ISO 50001 enables organizations to:
• Develop policies for more efficient energy use
• Setting targets of energy efficiency and objectives to meet policy
• Use data to better understand and make decisions about energy consumption
• Measuring improvements in energy efficiency
• Review the effectiveness of energy policies
• Continue to improve energy management
• ISO 50001 supports policy development and energy contribution to energy plan structures in achieving targets.
• ISO 50001-based EMS creates awareness and commitment to energy (consumption, use, efficiency, renewable resources) within the organization.
• ISO 50001 enhances the organization's ability to manage energy risks regarding possible impacts as efficiently and effectively as possible.
• ISO 50001 strengthens organizational competitiveness and reduces vulnerability to energy price fluctuations and energy availability.
• ISO 50001 enables the establishment of a benchmarking process.
• ISO 50001-based EMS enables organizations to gain credible external visibility from energy saving measures.
• ISO 50001-based EMS provides a better understanding of energy demand and supply demand.
• ISO 50001-based EMS reduces energy costs and increases profitability.