What is the OHSAS 18001 Standard?
The OHSAS or Occupational Health and Safety Assessment Series is a set of international standards or standards used for the implementation of the Health and Safety Management System (SMK3). OHSAS 18001 has been developed in response to industry demands on SMK3 that can be assessed and certified. The OHSAS standard contains specifications of OHS management systems, development guidelines and their implementation. OHSAS 18001: 2007 was first published by the British Standard Institute (BSI) and applied internationally. As for the domestic scale, the Indonesian government has its own K3 Management System (SMK3) Standards standard issued by the Ministry of Manpower.
Who is the user of OHSAS 18001?
Applicable across organizations regardless of geographic size and location.
• Applicable to any organizations willing to eliminate or minimize risks for employees and other stakeholders directly related to OHS risk.
• Can be applied to organizations that have the elements required by OHSAS 18001 that can complement each other to create a better integrated management system.
Why is OHSAS 18001 Important?
OHSAS 18001 indicates that the organization is confident of its competence in compliance with OHS regulations and requirements. It not only underscores the commitment to the implementation, maintenance and improvement of OHS policies, but also provides a competitive advantage for the organization.
• By applying OHSAS 18001, minimize the possibility of work-related accidents and occupational diseases. So it can lower the organization's operational costs for medical expenses and accident compensation.
Benefits of OHSAS 18001 Certification
• A structured approach to hazard identification and risk management that can provide inputs for safer, healthier, safer work environments.
• Reduce risk - OHS management becomes more transparent and effective by translating audit results into action.
• Laws - provide a means of identifying existing rules and other relevant requirements that keep the Organization law-abiding.
• Stakeholder confidence - increased credibility by applying independently assessed SMK3.
• Plan - Do - Check - Act - based management system - This standard aligns with other management systems, meaning it is very easy to develop an integrated system.